Thursday, June 28, 2012

Paula's Background- Kinda

I've worked professionally with children and adults with disabilities (physical and mental) for the last 19 years. I've been certified in restraint throughout my career and continue to recertify every year. I taught Bryan the appropriate use of non-violent physical restraint and we are very effective when we're together. The goal of restraint is not to contain his behavior, it's to keep him from harming himself or others. If we were to lock him in his room, he will hurt himself. I could care less what he destroys. We can replace damaged items, as we've done many times in the past. But we can't replace our son. He will break anything when he's in a violent rage because he has absolutely no thought of reality. Simply put, locking him in his room would be negligence. On this particular occasion, I was able to restrain him very briefly, get him back under control, and leave him "hiding" under his blankets on his bed. I consider it a successful intervention. Every one of these kiddos is different, so if you finds something that works for you, that's great. God Bless, Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment